- PDF EPUB Mobi
- Apr 22, 2014
What, exactly, is the Cloud? What are cloud services, and how can you make smart decisions about which ones to use and how to set them up? Join award-winning author Joe Kissell as he pins down nebulous cloud concepts, helps you evaluate claims about cloud services, and points out how to enhance your privacy and security in the Cloud.
You can read this approachable ebook quickly in your recliner, deck chair, or airplane seat, but you’ll want to pull it out again next time you’re considering signing up for yet another cloud-based product or service, whether it’s data storage, syncing, or sharing; a productivity or entertainment app; or something else. Along with lists of popular, recommended, or interesting cloud-based services, Joe provides advice on desirable (and undesirable) features. And, if you’d like still more control over your data, there’s a special chapter about setting up your own personal cloud.
Teach This Book! Do you need to give a presentation concerning the Cloud? We’d like to help. This ebook includes links to a free PDF cheat sheet and a PDF-based slide deck that you can show on any computer or mobile device.
- More Info
Here’s what you’ll find inside Take Control of the Cloud:
- 18 essential FAQs about the Cloud
- What’s special about modern-day, cloud-based data syncing
- Why it’s so hard to mingle calendars from different services
- How using the Cloud can reduce your hardware costs
- Popular cloud apps and what they can do for you
- How to run Windows or Linux in the Cloud
- Why Adobe Creative Cloud is a lame example of cloud computing
- What a VPS (virtual private server) is, and why you might want one
- Who are the big players who want to grab your cloud data
- How to avoid the weak points when it comes to cloud security
- Why you should back up to and from the Cloud
- How to know if a particular cloud service is right for you
- Barriers and benefits to running your own personal cloud
- How to choose hardware and software for a personal cloud
- Free download of a cheat sheet and training materials about the Cloud
Chuck Joiner and Joe Kissell virtually sat down together recently to discuss Joe’s latest book about the “cloud” on MacVoices. In the fifty-minute interview, Joe and Chuck look at the array of network-based services and tools that comprise the cloud, and what they all mean in practical terms for computer, tablet, and smartphone users: the benefits of such services, the compromises they require, and their long-term durability and reliability. If you feel that the topic of cloud-based computing is obscure or hard-to-grasp, this chat can help dispel the mists that surround it.
Posted by Michael E. Cohen (Permalink)