In Take Control of Home Security Cameras, networking and security expert Glenn Fleishman shows you how to make smart choices about buying and configuring cameras that take into account technical details, video quality, system integration, your own privacy and that of others, and internet security.
As you read this book, you’ll:
- Figure out which features are right for you
- Configure your system securely to ensure that you and people you authorize are the only ones with access to live and stored video
- Understand the different kinds of cloud-based storage of video, and which you might be comfortable with
- Learn about Apple HomeKit Secure Video, an option available for the Apple ecosystem that lets you access video and control cameras from several manufacturers in a highly secure way from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, including Logitech’s Circle View
- Get to know features found in home security cameras, and how they affect the quality and nature of video you capture
- Set your system so that alerts only appear for the kinds of motion, sound, or other triggers that meet your threshold
- Avoid becoming part of the surveillance state—or opt into a limited and controlled part of it with a fuller understanding of what that means
- Learn about the legal aspects and limits of recording audio and video, and how they might (or might not) help catch criminals
What’s New in Version 1.4
This update includes timely revisions to reflect current product lines and price changes, among other changes. More specifically:
- Eufy gone: I removed Anker’s Eufy line of cameras from recommendations and discussion. A researcher discovered multiple significant security flaws, the company delayed and obfuscated its response, and even the fixes and answers are incomplete as of January 2023.
- Logitech line-up changed: Logitech has discontinued all but its Circle View models, which work only with Apple HomeKit Secure Video. I’ve updated the book to reflect that.
- Constant model changes: Because of the constant churn of camera models, prices, features, and availability, our rundown about models by company becomes obsolete within days or weeks of publication. As a result, I’ve removed the section that included a detailed rundown. It’s better I refer you to manufacturers’ sites and specific models that we ensure remain available through book updates.
Posted by Joe Kissell on April 23, 2021
Glenn Fleishman joined Chuck Joiner on MacVoices in a massive, three-part series to discuss updates to several of his books, including Take Control of Your M-Series Mac, Take Control of Securing Your Mac, Take Control of Your Apple ID, and Take Control of Home Security Cameras. The three episodes are:
You can also watch them right here:
Posted by Joe Kissell on March 5, 2020
Glenn Fleishman joined Chuck Joiner on MacVoices to talk about his new book Take Control of Home Security Cameras. He’ll tell you about the many variables involved in choosing a camera system and what his book covers.