This independent book from Glenn Fleishman of Aperiodical teaches you how to use an iPhone or iPad with iOS 8 on Wi-Fi and cellular/mobile networks securely, making connections with ease while protecting your data. It also covers Bluetooth networking, tracking an iOS device, using AirDrop and AirPlay, and solving connection problems. The book covers a huge range of common network setup and routine usage issues, with illustrated step-by-step instructions. On the security side, it walks you through scenarios from securing your data in transit to connecting to a secure Wi-Fi network to recovering or erasing a lost iPhone.
The iOS 11 edition of this title is available! See A Practical Guide to Networking, Privacy & Security in iOS 11.
Hey, What’s This?
We can focus our editorial attention on only so many books, so when our friend and longtime collaborator Glenn Fleishman proposed revisiting this topic and creating a new book on his own, we jumped at the chance to bring it to you alongside our Take Control titles. It’s his book, not ours, so it looks a little different, but the content is rock solid.
You’ll learn how to:
- Troubleshoot problematic Wi-Fi connections.
- Master all the options for a Personal Hotspot.
- Stream music and video to other devices.
- Transfer files between iOS and OS X with AirDrop.
- Secure your data in transit with a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection.
- Protect your device against access and deal with it going missing.
- Plan and manage your cellular data usage.
The book covers WPA2 security, AirDrop, AirPlay, Bluetooth networking, Airplane Mode, Personal Hotspot (including Instant Hotspot), VPNs, two-step verification, Touch ID and passcodes, and Find My iPhone.