- PDF EPUB Mobi
- Sep 21, 2016
This independent book from Glenn Fleishman of Aperiodical teaches you how to use an iOS 10 device on Wi-Fi and cellular/mobile networks securely, making connections with ease while protecting your data and controlling access to your private information. It also covers Bluetooth networking and Location Services.
Whether you are new to iOS or an experienced user hoping to stay up-to-date on the newest iOS quirks (such as Wi-Fi Calling, differential privacy, Apple’s two-factor authentication, and Safari ad blocking), you’ll find helpful directions, useful tips, and intriguing background information. Glenn also explains how your private details — who you are, sites you visit, and where you physically go — are shared with Apple and others, and how to restrict or block that sharing. On the security side, he walks you through scenarios from securing your data in transit to connecting to a secure Wi-Fi network to dealing with a lost iPhone.
Hey, What’s This?
We can focus our attention on only so many books, so when our friend and longtime collaborator Glenn Fleishman proposed creating this book on his own, we jumped at the chance to bring it to you alongside our Take Control titles. It’s his book, so it looks a little different, but the content is rock solid.
- More Info
You’ll get the most out of your network connections by learning how to:
- Troubleshoot problematic Wi-Fi connections.
- Master all the options for a Personal Hotspot.
- Know which radios are on (cellular, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS) — and turn them on and off whenever you like.
- Plan and manage your cellular data usage to avoid being throttled by your provider.
- Make phone calls over Wi-Fi from your iPhone, iPad, and Mac with Wi-Fi Calling.
- Decipher common and uncommon Wi-Fi and cellular icons that can appear on the status bar.
- Find the Wi-Fi Assist switch, and know when to disable it.
- Stream music and video to other devices with AirPlay.
- Transfer files between iOS and OS X with AirDrop.
You’ll find strategies for keeping your data private:
- Know what kinds of data can be leaked and consider your privacy settings.
- Block creeps from iMessage messages, FaceTime, and phone calls.
- Load pages faster, use less data, suppress ads, and be less trackable with Safari content-blocking extensions.
You’ll learn about securing your data in transit and on your device:
- Connect to a WPA2 Wi-Fi network in home and corporate scenarios.
- Understand and set up Apple’s new two-factor authentication.
- Secure data in transit with a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection.
- Protect your device against intruders, and use Find My iPhone to deal with it going missing.
- What's New
This edition has been thoroughly revised for iOS 10. It contains added details about differential privacy and call-blocking extensions, and extensively updates the sections on Wi-Fi Calling and carrier monthly bandwidth restrictions and throttling. The book’s step-by-step instructions and illustrations have all been updated with changes for iOS 10.