We love this ebook, but we’ve been unable to market it effectively. Thus, in early 2013 instead of giving it a much needed refresh, we’ve decided to mark it as obsolete and to remove the buy button. With the appropriate sponsorship, we could be persuaded to re-make this ebook, so if you are the right person to make that happen, please get in touch!
Having your own domain name – like
takecontrolbooks.com – is fun for individuals and essential for organizations, but the details of managing a domain name can be perplexing. Networking expert Glenn Fleishman demystifies the jargon and tells you everything you need to know, beginning with how domain names work behind the scenes. He then explains the best ways to decide upon and find an available domain name, register it, configure it with a DNS host, and use it for your Web site and email address. Additional sections cover using dynamic DNS; special problems and troubleshooting; explain how to change your registrar, DNS host, Web host, or email host; and offer tips for buying or selling a registered domain name.
Read this book to find answers to questions such as:
- What can I do with a domain name?
- How do I learn what domain names are available?
- What features does a good registrar offer?
- What is DNS and what should I do about it?
- I hate my registrar. How can I switch to a new one?
- What should I look for in a Web- or email-hosting service?
- How can I run a Web server if my ISP gives me a dynamic IP address?
- How do I set up an email service at my domain for family members without running my own mail server?
- Help! My Web site is dead and I’m not getting email. What should I do?
Save money! A coupon at the end of the book gives new customers $10 off when registering (or transferring) a domain with easyDNS, the registrar and DNS hosting service that we recommend and use for the Take Control and TidBITS domain names.
"Take Control of Your Domain Names demystifies the arcane and Byzantine twists and turns of domain registries and the competitive registrar landscape. The mechanics of DNS, the dial tone of the Internet, is explained in easy-to-understand terms, using common real-world scenarios. The ebook should be required reading for IT managers, webmasters, consultants, and anybody else earning a living on the Internet." —Mark Jeftovic, easyDNS founder