Every year around this time, when we release the initial versions of our books on Apple’s new operating systems, we start getting a lot of inquiries about when our other books will be updated. The changes in macOS 10.15 Catalina and iOS 13/iPadOS 13 are extensive and affect quite a few of our titles. Work is underway to update as many of our books as possible, as soon as possible, and I wanted to give you a preview of what’s coming in the (relatively) near future.
UPDATE (12/18/19): The books below have already been updated, and I’ve made a few other changes to the lists:
- [Take Control of Shortcuts] (new!): released December 18, 2019
- Take Control of Apple Home Automation, version 1.1: released December 11, 2019
- Take Control of Slack, version 1.1: released December 10, 2019
- Take Control of Your Digital Storage, version 1.1: released December 10, 2019
- Take Control of Automating Your Mac, Third Edition: released November 21, 2019
- Take Control of Your Browser, version 1.1: released November 21, 2019
- Take Control of Calendar and Reminders: released October 29, 2019
- Take Control of Your Digital Photos, Second Edition: released October 23, 2019
- Take Control of Photos, Second Edition: released October 23, 2019
- Take Control of Wi-Fi Networking and Security, version 1.1: released October 21, 2019
- Take Control of macOS Media Apps (replaces our iTunes book): released October 16, 2019
- Take Control of DEVONthink 3: released October 9, 2019
- Take Control of Catalina, version 1.1: released October 7, 2019
- Take Control of Upgrading to Catalina, version 1.1: released October 7, 2019
- Take Control of iOS 13 and iPadOS 13, version 1.1: released September 24, 2019
- Take Control of Notes, version 1.2: released September 24, 2019
- Connect and Secure Your iPhone and iPad (updated version of A Practical Guide to Networking, Privacy & Security in iOS 12): released September 19, 2019
- Take Control of Your Apple ID, version 1.2: released September 19, 2019
We expect to release updates to the following titles for compatibility with Catalina, iOS 13, and/or iPadOS 13 by early 2020 (some of these will be free updates while others will be paid upgrades to new editions):
- Take Control of Apple Mail
- Take Control of Apple TV (possibly with a new title)
- Take Control of iCloud
- Take Control of Your Productivity: planned for release in late December 2019 or January 2020
In addition, we’re planning early 2020 updates to the following books for reasons other than operating system compatibility:
- Take Control of 1Password
- Take Control of Scrivener 3, version 1.1: planned for release as soon as Scrivener 3 for Windows ships
We’re also working on several brand-new titles for release in early 2020, including one on the mysterious aspects of Apple’s user interfaces.
Now then…to answer the inevitable questions:
- I can’t give you exact dates, or even months, for all these releases. There are far too many variables to be able to pin those down at this point. All I can say is: we’ll update as many books as we can, as fast as we can. One way or another, we’ll probably average more than a book per week for the rest of the year.
- Yes, still more titles are on our roster to update in 2020. We can only type so fast! If you’re looking for a book that’s not on this list, it’s more than likely coming next year. (That said, we don’t have the capacity to keep every single one of our books updated, and a few will, sadly, fall by the wayside.)
- We still have loads of work to do to fix bugs and add features on our new website (see my status update), and that’s quite important too. Work on the site and work on new books will have the effect of slowing each other down, alas.
Finally, a gentle reminder: this is what we expect/hope/plan to do, but it’s subject to change because life is messy and unpredictable.