Every year around this time, when we release the initial versions of our books on Apple’s new operating systems, we start getting a lot of inquiries about when our other books will be updated. The changes in macOS 10.15 Catalina and iOS 13/iPadOS 13 are extensive and affect quite a few of our titles. Work is underway to update as many of our books as possible, as soon as possible, and I wanted to give you a preview of what’s coming in the (relatively) near future.
We expect to release updates to the following titles for compatibility with Catalina, iOS 13, and/or iPadOS 13 at some point later this year (some of these will be free updates while others will be paid upgrades to new editions):
- A Practical Guide to Networking, Privacy & Security in iOS 12 (with a new title)
- Take Control of Apple Home Automation
- Take Control of Apple Mail
- Take Control of Apple TV (possibly with a new title)
- Take Control of Calendar and Reminders
- Take Control of iCloud
- Take Control of iTunes 12: the FAQ (with a new title)
- Take Control of Notes
- Take Control of Photos
- Take Control of Siri
- Take Control of Your Apple ID
- Take Control of Your Browser
- Take Control of Your Productivity
In addition, we’re planning 2019 updates to the following books for reasons other than operating system compatibility (again, some of these will be free updates while others will be paid):
- Take Control of 1Password
- Take Control of Getting Started with DEVONthink 2 (with a new title and after DEVONthink 3 ships)
- Take Control of Scrivener 3 (as soon as Scrivener 3 for Windows ships)
- Take Control of Your Digital Photos
- Take Control of Your Digital Storage
We’re also working on several brand-new titles for release later in 2019, including one on the mysterious aspects of Apple’s user interfaces, one on the Shortcuts app in iOS 13 and iPadOS 13, and at least one other iPad-focused book.
Now then…to answer the inevitable questions:
- I can’t give you exact dates, or even months, for all these releases. There are far too many variables to be able to pin those down at this point. All I can say is: we’ll update as many books as we can, as fast as we can. I predict that at least three or four of the above updates will ship in September (along with version 1.1 updates to Take Control of Catalina, Take Control of Upgrading to Catalina, and Take Control of iOS 13 and iPadOS 13), but one way or another, we’ll probably average more than a book per week for the rest of the year.
- Yes, still more titles are on our roster to update in 2020. We can only type so fast! If you’re looking for a book that’s not on this list, it’s more than likely coming next year. (That said, we don’t have the capacity to keep every single one of our books updated, and a few will, sadly, fall by the wayside.)
- We still have loads of work to do to fix bugs and add features on our new website (see my status update), and that’s quite important too. Work on the site and work on new books will have the effect of slowing each other down, alas.
Finally, a gentle reminder: this is what we expect/hope/plan to do, but it’s subject to change because life is messy and unpredictable.