Further iCloud Transition Details Emerge
Responding to enormous customer confusion and anxiety, Apple has posted a MobileMe to iCloud Transition page which answers many, but not all questions about the upcoming changes. (For more about this document, read Apple Details Transition from MobileMe to iCloud in TidBITS.)
A few crucial highlights:
- iDisk (including iWeb publishing) and Gallery will be completely discontinued as of June 30, 2012.
- Mac-to-Mac syncing of Dashboard widgets, keychains, Dock items, and System Preferences will also disappear when MobileMe ends.
- Bookmark syncing and Back to My Mac will become part of iCloud.
- Email, contacts, and calendars will continue to be accessible via Web browsers at iCloud.com.
- It will be possible to move one’s email, contact, calendar, and bookmark data from MobileMe to iCloud (although Apple hasn’t yet said how this will happen), and you can keep existing firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com email addresses.
- It won’t be possible to merge multiple Apple IDs, but you can use one for iCloud and a different one for iTunes Store purchases, for example.
Some questions remain unanswered, and in all probability the complete story won’t be known in detail until iCloud is officially released.
Posted by Joe Kissell (Permalink)